Readers will find information on growing (and sourcing) feed on a small scale, brooding (and breeding) at home, and using poultry as insect and weed managers in the garden and orchard. Ussery’s model presents an entirely sustainable system that can be adapted and utilized in a variety of scales, and will prove invaluable for beginner homesteaders, growers looking to incorporate poultry into their farm, or poultry farmers seeking to close their loop. Ussery offers extensive information on:
- The definition of an integrated poultry flock (imitation of natural systems, integrating patterns, and closing the circle)
- Everything you need to know about your basic chicken (including distinctive points about anatomy and behavior that are critical to management)
Extended information on poultry health and holistic health care, with a focus on prevention
- Planning your flock (flock size, choosing breeds, fowl useful for egg vs. meat production, sourcing stock)
- How to breed and brood the flock (including breeding for genetic conservation), including the most complete guide to working with broody hens available anywhere
- Making and mixing your own feed (with tips on equipment, storage, basic ingredients, technique, grinding and mixing)
- Providing more of the flock’s feed from sources grown or self-foraged on the homestead or farm, including production of live protein feeds using earthworms and soldier grubs
- Using poultry to increase soil fertility, control crop damaging insects, and to make compost-including systems for pasturing and for tillage of cover crops and weeds
- Recipes for great egg and poultry dishes (including Ussery’s famous chicken stock!)
- And one of the best step-by-step poultry butchering guides available, complete with extensive illustrative photos.
No other book on raising poultry takes an entirely whole-systems approach, or discusses producing homegrown feed and breeding in such detail. This is a truly invaluable guide that will lead farmers and homesteaders into a new world of self-reliance and enjoyment.
Connect with this author
Chelsea Green Publishing
Paperback, 416 pages.